[Mailman-Users] Group mismatch error

James Jones jam at gsu.edu
Tue Mar 4 20:45:52 CET 2003

I have 2.1.1 installed on a RH8 box with Sendmail (sendmail-8.12.8-1.80). I dealt with the smrsh issue by creating a symbolic link in the /etc/smrsh directory. However, I'm not getting this problem.

Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but
the system's mail server executed the mail script as
group "mail".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,
providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=mail'.
554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

I tried recompiling it with `--with-mail-gid=mail' too but I still get the same error. Going though the stuff in the 'contrib' directory originally (for sendmail), I put a copy of mm-handler in /etc/mail and took the last section of mailman.mc and added it to sendmail.mc and regenerated a sendmail.cf file. Here is what I added (maybe I should have added more):

dnl
dnl Our Mailman-specific local mailer.
dnl
MAILER_DEFINITIONS
####################################
###   New Mailer specifications  ###
####################################

## Special flags! See
##      http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/doc8.10/op-sh-5.html#sh-5.4
## Note especially the absence of the "m" and "n" flags. THIS IS
## IMPORTANT: mm-handler assumes this behavior to avoid having to know
## too much about address parsing and other RFC-2822 mail details.

Mmailman,       P=/etc/mail/mm-handler, F=rDFMhlqSu, U=mailman:mail,
                S=EnvFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
                A=mm-handler $h $u

James Jones
Technology Coordinator