[Mailman-Users] Re: HellMail

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Fri Jun 27 19:40:46 CEST 2003

Gerald wrote:
>Subscribe this address to both of your lists (the one that fails to HotMail
>and the one that works). I'll respond to the subscription verification
>requests. Then send out test messages and I'll bounce back a full set of
>headers so you can see if there is possibly something different aout the
>failing list that may be causing HotMails spam filters to catch and discard
>it.

      Thanks for the offer, I've already done that on on of my (way to
many) other addresses.

      Someone who wrote off list pointed me in the right direction -
HotMail's built in spam filters.  The HotMail account was created when I
needed an MSN ID for their messenger, and I have never used it.  Rejects
were being deleted rather than going to the junk folder.

      After some extensive testing I have determined that checking "Yes"
for "Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address
(Removes From, Sender and Reply-To fields) " caused HotMail to see a
message as spam.  Who sends the mail to the list also matters, although I
can not begin to explain why.  I can send mail from one of my accounts
directly to the HotMail account, but when that same account sends mail to
the the Mailman list, HotMail sees it as spam.  But another of my accounts
can send directly and through the Mailman list.  Just SOP at MS I guess.

      Since the subscription confirmation message goes through no matter
what, I will just add a not to HotMail users there.  Of course they will
not read it, and I will have to send it again when they say "why am I not
getting my mail".  Sigh.

<>< Paul