[Mailman-Users] Messages being labeled as spam

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 12:02:15 CEST 2003

At 20:17 23/06/2003, Jaswinder S. Hayre wrote:
>Guys,
>
>We are using Mailman to send messages to a little more than 6000 members but
>we are realizing a problem.  The messages which are delivered by Mailman
>have no specific address in the To: field.

They do have a specific address in the To: header, that of the list to
which the post was directed.

>But instead it contains
>something like listname at hostname.  Some spam filters label mail delivered in
>this fashion as being spam.  This prevents our message from actually
>reaching the end user even though we have an "opt-in" system.

A questionable practice. In much normal email the destination on the mail
wrapper and the To: header value of a piece of mail are not the same.
Indeed I would suggest that any spam detector is broken that applies the
test that the destination on the mail wrapper must be the same as the value
of the To: header.

>Why does Mailman do this?

Because it is entirely normal.

>And is there a way to have the To: field be the
>actual address that the message is being delivered to?

If you are prepared to take the performance hit and you are running MM
2.1.x then you can do the following:

1. Assign a 'true' value to the MM configuration variable
OWNERS_CAN_ENABLE_PERSONALIZATION in $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py

2. run $prefix/bin/mailmanctl restart

3. Go to the Non-digest options page of any of your lists and for the
option "Should Mailman personalize each non-digest delivery?" select the
"Full personalization" radio button. Then click the "Submit your changes"
button.

4. Then sit back and watch the load rise on your outgoing MTA.

It is worth reading the details of this Non-digest option as with it set up
this way, Mailman will pass outgoing mail as a new message to the outgoing
for each list member.