[Mailman-Users] Red Hat 9 out of the box - nearly fixed!

Peter Russell prussell at mteliza.com.au
Wed Jun 18 04:36:33 CEST 2003

Thanks for the tip - - this is very fustrating - i hope some one can help
me get this mailman going :)

EDIT: while typing this email to you i rebooted the server (just having
applied the fix below and thinking it hadnt worked), and now my Lotus Notes
new mail icon popped up, and guess what, tons of test emails from my test
mailing lists flooded in - its fixed!

Getting mailman running (as a RH7.3+ majpordomo replacement) has taken 4
full days, 2.5 finding out that with sendmail on the trusted network and my
domino smtp server on the optional our firewall, even with port 25 allowed,
blocked a ton of esmtp commands preventing smtp mail.

Then 1.5 days to find out that red hat gave me broken software, you get
what you pay for :)

THANKS HEAPS! for you help - without people like you lot Linux would not be
an option for most of us.

Thanks again
Pete

EDIT Crap! now the webadmin doesnt work :( I do a ls -l and see that files
are owned by root:mailman - does this mean i should either change the
MAILMAN_ESER=root or change the ownershop of those files to mailman? I am
relunctant to make anymore changes until i know for sure, i dont wanna
start going backwards.

http://10.1.10.224/mailman/admin/
Bug in Mailman version 2.1

We're sorry, we hit a bug!

If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy of
this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
happened. Thanks!
Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/mailman/scripts/driver", line 68, in run_main
    immediate=1)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Logging/StampedLogger.py", line 52, in
__init__
    Logger.__init__(self, category, nofail, immediate)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 49, in __init__
    self.__get_f()
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Logging/Logger.py", line 67, in __get_f
    1)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/codecs.py", line 496, in open
    file = __builtin__.open(filename, mode, buffering)
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/var/log/mailman/error'

Python information:

    Variable                                   Value

 sys.version     2.2.2 (#1, Feb 24 2003, 19:13:11) [GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat
                 Linux 3.2.2-4)]

 sys.executable  /usr/bin/python

 sys.prefix      /usr

 sys.exec_prefix /usr

 sys.path        /usr

 sys.platform    linux2

Environment variables:

|--------------------------->
|         Variable          |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                          Value                                                           |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|HTTP_COOKIE                |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |test+admin=2802000000696eb5ef3e732800000066353638343632393335363134353235613763376335613665373234383461643263613637653966;|
  |sid=2e0d984a196b3c58485117c40f601079; testing=1                                                                           |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|SCRIPT_FILENAME            |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |/var/mailman/cgi-bin/admin                                                                                                |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|PYTHONPATH                 |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |/var/mailman                                                                                                              |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|SERVER_SOFTWARE            |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)                                                                                             |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|SERVER_ADMIN               |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |root at localhost                                                                                                            |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|SCRIPT_NAME                |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |/mailman/admin                                                                                                            |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|SERVER_SIGNATURE           |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Apache/2.0.40 Server at 10.1.10.224 Port 80                                                                               |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|REQUEST_METHOD             |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |GET                                                                                                                       |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|HTTP_HOST                  |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |10.1.10.224                                                                                                               |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|PATH_INFO                  |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |/                                                                                                                         |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|SERVER_PROTOCOL            |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |HTTP/1.1                                                                                                                  |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|QUERY_STRING               |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                          |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|REQUEST_URI                |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |/mailman/admin/                                                                                                           |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|HTTP_ACCEPT                |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |*/*                                                                                                                       |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|PATH_TRANSLATED            |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |/var/www/html/                                                                                                            |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|HTTP_USER_AGENT            |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0; iOpus-I-M)                                                             |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|HTTP_CONNECTION            |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |Keep-Alive                                                                                                                |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|SERVER_NAME                |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |10.1.10.224                                                                                                               |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|REMOTE_ADDR                |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |10.1.10.91                                                                                                                |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|REMOTE_PORT                |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |2344                                                                                                                      |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE       |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |en-au                                                                                                                     |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|UNIQUE_ID                  |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |sA2KhH8AAAEAAAdvEcwAAAAE                                                                                                  |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|SERVER_PORT                |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |80                                                                                                                        |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|GATEWAY_INTERFACE          |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |CGI/1.1                                                                                                                   |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING       |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |gzip, deflate                                                                                                             |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|SERVER_ADDR                |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |10.1.10.224                                                                                                               |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
|--------------------------->
|DOCUMENT_ROOT              |
|--------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |/var/www/html                                                                                                             |
  >--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  Someone posted that this is what they did to get that working..

  I ran into this problem also. I believe I worked around it by setting

  MAILMAN_USER = 'mailman'
  MAILMAN_GROUP = 'mailman'

  in my /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file. (There were other values
  I needed to customize in this file anyway.) The defaults in
  /var/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py should probably be changed from

  MAILMAN_USER = ''
  MAILMAN_GROUP = ''

  to the values above.

  Does this help any?

you are not the addressee (or responsible for delivery of the message to
the addressee), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such
a case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the sender by
reply e-mail. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this message
that do not relate to the official business of my employer shall be