[Mailman-Users] Upgrade to version 2.1 - latency on processing incoming messages

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Jun 16 16:09:04 CEST 2003

At 13:32 16/06/2003, Gardener, Ray A wrote:
>Hi
>
>Last week I upgraded to 2.1 - after a few problem things seems to be
>almost working fine.
>However I notice that mails sent in regularly  take over 20 minutes to be
>delivered. The logs directory files for mailman don't show any
>problems and the system is lightly loaded.

But where is the time delay occurring: between receipt by the local MTA and
Mailman sending it out, between Mailman handing it off to the outbound MTA
and that passing the mail on. What do the headers on "delayed" mail show;
also the MTA and Mailman's post/smtp logs.

>Are there any parameter that I can, or need to, set to tell mailman to
>process messages within a certain interval - I am aware that I can
>force the processing by running qrunner explicitly in spite of the fact
>that mailmanctl is controlling the qrunners. Is there a good reason
>for not doing this from cron (as in what we had to do for version 2.0 and
>preceding versions)?

If anything the latency should be better with 2.1.x than with 2.0.x

Are these posts to lists with many subscribers or do they have some
characteristic (large posts, many attachments) that might affect their
handling?