[Mailman-Users] 403 Forbidden error accessing public archives

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Thu Jun 12 11:43:41 CEST 2003

At 01:19 12/06/2003, Ronald van Engelen wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm getting the infamous 403 Access Forbidden error trying to access my
>public archives.
>
>I've read the faq and the README files but can't find my error. I'm
>using  mailman 2.1.2-1 from Debian unstable with apache 1.3.27.0-1.
>
>In mm_cfg.py I have:
>
>PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/private'
>PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = '/pipermail'

There were some changes in the URL handling between MM 2.0.x and 2.1.x

It looks as though you are using the old style which may be causing you
problems.

In MM 2.1.2 PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL is a full URL pattern. Installing from
source Defaults.py has the following definitions:

PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://%(hostname)s/pipermail/%(listname)s'

MM 2.1.2's Defaults.py no longer defines PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL but is does
say the following:

<quote>
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'mailman.ftel.co.uk'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'mailman.ftel.co.uk'
DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

# DEFAULT_HOST_NAME has been replaced with DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST, however some
# sites may have the former in their mm_cfg.py files.  If so, we'll believe
# that, otherwise we'll believe DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST.  Same for DEFAULT_URL.
DEFAULT_HOST_NAME = None
DEFAULT_URL = None
</quote>

Probably worth taking a closer look at Defaults.py and then updating your
mm_cfg.py to take account of changes between MM 2.0.x and MM 2.1.x

Then repost if you still have a problem.