[Mailman-Users] update on mailpasswords problem

Dallas Bethune dallas at dreamhost.com
Sat Jun 7 02:35:11 CEST 2003

I reported a few days ago that I was seeing incorrect headers on the
mailpasswords monthly cron emails like so:

Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 05:26:52 -0700
From: mailman-owner at lists.dreamhost.com
To: user at domain.com
Sender: domain2.com-admin at lists.domain2.com

The X-BeenThere and Sender headers are incorrect along with the Return-Path
of the message.

It turns out that the list address used as the Sender and Return-Path is
always the very first list mailpasswords processes.  It gets that list with
this line:
    for listname in Utils.list_names():

So, I walked through the steps and it looks to me like this is a bug.  It
looks as if only the hostname from each list is passed through to the
delivery mechanism and the Errors-To, Sender, and Return-Path headers are
always derived from the same list no matter which list the password reminder
message is actually for.

In mailpasswds, there's a comment that says:
"    The list can be any random one - it is only used for the message
    delivery mechanism."

That doesn't seem to be true as that one list is passed all the way through
to the CookHeaders portion of the mail pipeline which uses that single list
to come up with the admin email address with this line:

    adminaddr = mlist.GetAdminEmail()

Am I on my own with this now that a more recent version is out?

    Dallas