[Mailman-Users] Analysis of reasons for bounce responses

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Thu Jul 31 12:08:26 CEST 2003

This is not my problem but one soemone approached me about off list.
I'll summarise their situation and I would appreciate any thoughts,
comments, sanity checking on my analysis.

Situation:

1. List admin's domain is hosted by a server run by a hosting company.

2. The server is (probably) running Linux

3. Mailman 2.1.2 is provided on the server with, I believe, CPanel

4. The server's MTA appears to be Exim 4.20 handling both incoming and
outgoing messages to/from Mailman

5. Mailman list's basically work OK much of the time

6. Periodically messages out from Mailman are being bounced en masse
leading to the subscriber accounts being disabled

7. The bounce response attached to the bounce action notice produced by
Mailman when subscribers are disabled in these circumstances is from
the server local MTA. The MTA lists what appears to be all the
addresses to which the outgoing message was sent with a note against
each saying "unrouteable mail domain maildomain.tld". The bounce
response asserts that this is a permanent failure. The messages are
each being sent to a number of different mail domains not just a single
one

8. The list admin with the problem has no access to either the Mailman
or MTA logs

9. The server administrator is supposedly claiming that these bounces
are a result of "a bug in Mailman for which no patch is available"

My analysis is:

1. The problem is not obviously due to any bug in Mailman

2. The problem is more likely due to an IP routing problem which
periodically afflicts the server and its ability to reach the MTAs for
the mail domains addressed by the outgoing messages

3. The MTA is accepting the outgoing messages from Mailman and then
finding it has problems of its own in delivering mail which are
unrelated to Mailman as the origin of the messages

But I have to concede I know nothing about Exim 4.20. I know even less
about CPanel.

Any thoughts or anatomically feasible suggestions welcome.

-----
Richard Barrett
http://www.openinfo.co.uk