[Mailman-Users] version 2.1.2 of mailman ... problem

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 21:40:12 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 07:55  pm, Nyx Wolfwlaker wrote:

> Greetings Everyone,
>
> My server just upgraded to version 2.1.2 of mailman and i'm getting
> ever few days all
> mylists are bouncing ... according to the server admin this is a bug
> in Mailman, and that
> there is no patch out there as yet for this problem.

It would be useful to know what this mysterious Mailman problem is
supposed to be and what leads your informant to conclude it is a bug in
Mailman.

What are the symptoms in some detail? What is showing in your Mailman
and MTA logs? Which MTA type is bouncing the messages and what error
response is it returning?

What MTA and version is MM interacting with locally? Is your outbound
SMTP server the local MTA or remote? What OS and version? What Python
version?

It is not possible to help you with no information.

As a general comment, if this were a well known problem I think you
might find that a lot of Mailman list admins would be bombarding this
and the mailman-developers list with demands for a fix and maybe even
publishing the fix. Maybe they are not doing so because they do not
have a problem!

I'm running a server with over 450 lists which has been up and running
MM 2.1.2 since the day the source for that version was released; that
server started with running MM 2.0.3 and has been upgraded through
every stable release since. I am not seeing any problem of the sort
your limited description portrays.