[Mailman-Users] Gentoo, mailman and the "module named paths"

Whit Blauvelt whit at transpect.com
Mon Jul 28 23:11:29 CEST 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 08:34:32PM +0100, Richard Barrett wrote:

> > Where do you run mailmanctl from? Have I missed something on setting a
> >system variable in the INSTALL instructions, that would enable it to work
> >from /etc/init.d as advertised with mailman not installed in the default
> >/usr/local/mailman?
>
> The $prefix/scripts/mailman shell script that the INSTALL instructions
> tells you to use for starting Mailman at startup should have been built
> correctly by the './configure; make install'. Take a look at its
> contents to make sure the path declarations are correct.

Richard,

Yeah, the path declarations are correct.

My problem was thinking that it was the "mailmanctl" script that should go in
/etc/init.d, rather than the "mailman" script. Since the INSTALL
instructions only really cover other setups than Gentoo, I wasn't looking
closely enough at sections that seemed not to apply. (The "mailman" script
would still need some edits to work right in Gentoo - but invoking
mailmanctl in its home location as part of my Gentoo sendmail startup seems
to get it going okay.)

Oh well....

Whit