[Mailman-Users] Gentoo, mailman and the "module named paths"

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 21:34:32 CEST 2003

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 07:37  pm, Whit Blauvelt wrote:

> Thanks Bruce.
>
> I see that mailmanctl doesn't throw those errors if I start it from
> /web/mailman/bin rather than /etc/init.d. (However, I still have a
> "Site
> list is missing: mailman" error to sleuth out.)

Check out the INSTALL file in a MM 2.1.x build directory. It tells you
to create a site list, named mailman by default. mailmanctl will not
start properly without it.

>  Where do you run mailmanctl
> from? Have I missed something on setting a system variable in the
> INSTALL
> instructions, that would enable it to work from /etc/init.d as
> advertised
> with mailman not installed in the default /usr/local/mailman?

The $prefix/scripts/mailman shell script that the INSTALL instructions
tells you to use for starting Mailman at startup should have been built
correctly by the './configure; make install'. Take a look at its
contents to make sure the path declarations are correct.