[Mailman-Users] Another question.. hopefully more interesting :)

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Sun Jul 27 00:03:57 CEST 2003

On Saturday, July 26, 2003, at 06:30 PM, Glenn Sieb wrote:

<snip>

>  My question was: Virtual Hosts. I have a primary
> host (wingfoot), and others (domain2.org, etc). I apologize, but I
> thought
> I had been pretty clear in that my whole question was that I wish
> Wingfoot's Mailman to be behind SSL and the other domains Mailmans
> *not*
> to be behind SSL.

Must have missed that the first time around or at least failed to grasp
why it was of concern. If I am honest fail to see why you have a
problem with all the virtual hosts using the same scheme but what the
heck, its your system.

> So, is it possible to do what I need to in one instance of Mailman,

It would appear not. There is only one DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN and one
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL per mm_cfg.py file. The value of those variables
define the scheme to be used in URL's generated by the MM software that
accesses that file. I think it is safe to assume that all the virtual
hosts being supported by that MM installation will those values and
hence use the same scheme.

>  or do
> I need two instances of Mailman? And, if I do need two instances of
> Mailman, is that even possible to do so on one box without them
> clobbering
> each other?

I would think that running ./configure with two different values of
--with-prefix, followed by make install for each, would be the simplest
approach and work just fine. I am sure you can work out the additional
entries in your httpd.conf for the 'https server' and the 'http server'
to coexist. And you have the to ensure that mail aliases supported by
the two MM installs do not collide as far as your MTA is concerned.