[Mailman-Users] Another question.. hopefully more interesting :)

Glenn Sieb ges+lists at wingfoot.org
Sat Jul 26 19:30:44 CEST 2003

Heya Richard :)

Richard Barrett said:
> Before commenting on the detail of what you do I make the observation
> that using Secure HTTP and private mail archives are not the same topic.

This is correct, and a nice summary of SSL versus private archives, but it
has nothing to do with my question, unfortunately :-/

> You should read the comments in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py.

I will do so again, but Defaults.py can just read like Beetlejuice style
stereo instructions at times :-/

> DEFAULT_URL is obsolete and only for compatibility reasons, is defined
> as None in Defaults.py  and should not be defined in mm_cfg.py.
<snip>
> There is not such animal as PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL in the MM lexicon. This
> variable is being completely ignored.

Ok, fair 'nuff. Things to note: I probably got most of these settings
either A) from reading this list or B) reading HOWTOs on the web... my
Mailman server has been up for a number of months now, and I don't exactly
recall where I got most of the settings I used.

> Private archives are served by a Mailman CGI script in file
> $prefix/Mailman/Cgi/private.py which is invoked (assuming a default
> install) by the URI /mailman/private

Correct--please note my question had to do with having one hostname behind
SSL, and others (virtual hostnames) not behind SSL. The installation as it
stands has been running for a while now and I have no complaints with it's
performance.

> This is no surprise as URLs for all Mailman CGI programs are formed
> from DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN

I still put the reference in, so you could see that I had taken the basic
logical steps in figuring this out. :)

> Which is a pretty good hint that you do not want to do this. Again read
> the comments in Defaults.py before you mess with this stuff.

Maybe what I can/should do, is, go through Defaults.py and see if I can
clean up the wording to make it easier to understand in those spots that
are clearly written by programmers for programmers? :)

> btw: I assume you are restarting mailmanctl running fix_url.py after
> fixing your mm_cfg.py.

Yup.

> If you want to use HTTPS for private archives and HTTP for public
> archives, the simplest approach is to say:

This was not my question. My question was: Virtual Hosts. I have a primary
host (wingfoot), and others (domain2.org, etc). I apologize, but I thought
I had been pretty clear in that my whole question was that I wish
Wingfoot's Mailman to be behind SSL and the other domains Mailmans *not*
to be behind SSL.

So, is it possible to do what I need to in one instance of Mailman, or do
I need two instances of Mailman? And, if I do need two instances of
Mailman, is that even possible to do so on one box without them clobbering
each other?

Thank you!
Glenn
---
The original portions of this message are the copyright of the author
(c)1998-2002 Glenn E. Sieb.    ICQ UIN: 300395    IRC Nick: Rainbear
"All acts of Love and Pleasure are Her rituals"-Charge of the Goddess