[Mailman-Users] Problems with user rights

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sat Jul 26 16:27:00 CEST 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 09:59, Christian Schoepplein wrote:
> Hello!
>
> After adding some virtual hosts to mm_cfg.py and restartting mailman, I
> get the following problems with the user rights for mailman and postfix:
>
> ---
> This is the Postfix program at host www.as-2.de.
>
> I'm sorry to have to inform you that the message returned
> below could not be delivered to one or more destinations.
>
> For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

> delete your own text from the message returned below.
>
> 			The Postfix program
>
> <blindzeln-mod at as-2.de>: Command died with status 2:
>     "/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post blindzeln-mod". Command output: Group
>     mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as
>     group "nogroup", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as
>     group "mailman".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group
>     "nogroup", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option
>     `--with-mail-gid=mailman'.
> ---

Hmmm, Check the ownership of the alias file (the where the above alias
is stored). Try setting the files group ownership to "nogroup"...

> I ran check_perms but no problems where shown..., before adding the
> virtual hosts everything worked fine.
>
> what can I do, to solve this problem? I know that I could reconfigure
> and reinstall mailman, but what about the old lists an configurations?
> Will they be deleted after a new installation? How shuld I reinstall
> mailman to have the right userrights?

If you re-install from source, then the old lists will be fine (not
deleted) and your configurations (stored in mm_cfg.py) will be fine as
well.

One of the first steps (after expanding the tar ball containing all the
source code) to installing from source is to run the command:
./configure

In your case you would include the switch:
  ./configure --with-mail-gid=mailman

But really, I don't think you need to re-install, just adjust some
rights.  Good Luck,

Jon Carnes