[Mailman-Users] Confusion with archives and mailman

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 22:31:05 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 06:09 PM, Tom Crummey wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm having some problems with Mailman and archiving. I'm using Mailman
> 2.1.2
> on Solaris 8 with a Netscape webserver and sendmail.
>
> The problems are:
>
> 1) Attachments with archived postings in private archives are not sent
> with
>    the correct content-type header. Attachments in public archives are
> OK.
>    I guess this is because the public ones are handled directly by the
>    web server whereas the private ones pass through Mailman in some
> way.
>    Does anyone know how to fix this?

Assuming you are using the internal pipermail archiver:

The only difference between private and public archives is that there
is a symlink to $prefix/archives/private/<listname> in
$prefix/archives/public

Private archives are delivered by the script
$prefix/Mailman/Cgi/private.py. This script uses the Python mimetypes
module to determine the value of the Content-type: header rather than
the contents of the mime.types file used by Apache.

The Python mimetypes module has an init() function for initializing its
internal data structure with extra suffix to mime type mappings.

Try inserting the following line after line 23 of file
$prefix/Mailman/Cgi/private.py, with the path to your Apache servers
mime.types file, to see if that improves matters:

mimetypes.init(['/etc/httpd/mime.types'])

> 2) Private archives can be read by anyone who knows the correct URL.
>    This is a permissions problem, but check_perms does not indicate
>    any problems. Anyone any ideas on how to hide the private archives?

This is a web server setup issue. The only way that private archives
should be accessible by the web server is via URI's begining
/mailman/private. This invokes the $prefix/Mailman/Cgi/private.py
script which challenges for user credentials and checks them.

What is the 'correct URL' you are referring to?