[Mailman-Users] Re: Flat Threads when posting usingOutlook/Exchange clients

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Jul 1 12:21:15 CEST 2003

At 9:20 PM -0400 2003/06/30, Jon Carnes wrote:

>  I'm not aware of a IEEE standard's RFC that covers the threading of
>  email.  I'm sure there is one, but the major makers of email clients
>  seem to be ignoring it.

	RFC 2822 "Internet Message Format" (2001) defines the current
behaviour of the "In-Reply-To:" and "References:" fields.  See
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html>.  IIRC, these fields were
initially defined in RFC 822 "Standard for the Format of ARPA
Internet Text Messages" (1982), see
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc822.html>, although they might have been
defined even earlier.