[Mailman-Users] Re: Flat Threads when posting usingOutlook/Exchange clients

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Jul 1 03:20:51 CEST 2003

To allow a Mail-client to Thread email, it puts a special header line in
the email. When a similar Mail-client responds, it recognizes the
special header and maintains that special header in any response.
Sometimes a Mail-client adds it's own header that specifically says: In
response to Message-xxxxx.

The problem is that different Mail-clients use different headers for
determining if a mail is a response or not. Eudora is very robust in
handling various different "standards", and often can thread mail fairly
well.  On the other hand, Outlook is fairly poor and doesn't even
recognize other MS threading "standards" - or for that matter the
threading "standards" of other versions of Outlook.

Outlook also wipes out any identifying header information when it
creates the header for a responding message.

I hope that explains why most Admins treat threading email in Outlook as
a joke.

I'm not aware of a IEEE standard's RFC that covers the threading of
email.  I'm sure there is one, but the major makers of email clients
seem to be ignoring it.

Jon Carnes