[Mailman-Users] 2nd request: migrating a list from 1.1 to 2.1 hosts?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Jan 31 19:20:09 CET 2003

Let me start off by saying that I have never personally done an
upgrade from 1.1 straight to 2.1, so that all this as my best guess,
not as gospel.

It may in fact, be better to upgrade from 1.1 to 2.0(.13) and then
from there to 2.1.  That's more work of course, and it may be
unnecessary work.

    TN>  A: Clone the MM1.1 directory somewhere (on either the
    TN> original or new host) and then "upgrade" that clone to 2.1.
    TN> Copy the resulting config into the real 2.1 tree as a new
    TN> list.  (I should probably pre-create the migrated lists on the
    TN> 2.1 host first, so I can do selective file overwrites without
    TN> missing some of the structure.  The upgraded clone directory
    TN> can be deleted afterwards.

I would do something more like "A", although I wouldn't pre-create the
lists.  Simply copy the config to a test area, do an upgrade, then run
something like bin/list_lists to touch all the lists and get them
upgraded.  From there it should be an easy process to move the lists
to your production 2.1 site (see below).

    TN> I hope that the developer(s) understand that with the
    TN> continued spread of Mailman, situations were listowners need
    TN> to *migrate*, rather than upgrading in place, will be more
    TN> common.  It would be great to have some kind of robust export
    TN> capability that was more or less version independent.

This totally doable, as covered in the UPGRADING INDIVIDUAL LISTS
section in the UPGRADING file.  It's actually fairly simple if you
discount the mta and Apache cruft.

HTH,
-Barry