[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1 list creation

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 30 11:03:50 CET 2003

At 21:51 29/01/2003, Jon Carnes wrote:
>If you can get shell access to the server you can use the
>~mailman/bin/genaliases command to generate the aliases for your created
>lists.  You could simply redirect the output of that command into a
>local aliases file and then include that aliases file in your MTA's list
>of aliases that it checks.
>
>Jon Carnes

If the MTA is sendmail then there is an option of using a sendmail mailer
to deliver to Mailman, if the only mail aliases on the server are the small
number of standard local aliases, e.g. postmaster, and those for Mailman
lists. If the machine is also hosting aliases for individual users then
forget I posted this.

MM 2.1 has the mm-handler contrib which is a sendmail mailer implemented in
Perl. There is also a Python implementation available which I have posted
as MM patch #644810 on sourceforge. Note that the Perl contrib isn't
entirely bullet-proof, unless the author has recently fixed an issue I
raised a while back.

Using these sendmail mailers can completely eliminate maintenance of mail
aliases on a list server. Create the list with MM through the web GUI and
its ready to go. The downside is some hassle getting sendmail setup right
and I wouldn't rate this as a job for a sendmail novice unless he is a
persistent one like me. But once that is done, no alias maintenance hassle.

I started out using the Perl contrib (originally with my own modifications
to work with MM 2.0.13 rather than 2.1) but now use the Python version on a
dedicated list server machine and its backup, which are currently hosting
over 450 fairly lightly loaded lists. The list population is fairly dynamic
and the use of the sendmail mailer works well for me.