[Mailman-Users] exim -mailman faq - not working

John Swartzentruber johnslists at mcswartz.org
Mon Jan 27 16:08:29 CET 2003

On 27 Jan 2003 09:43:39 -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:

>What version of Mailman are you running?  If version 2.1 then you can
>run ~mailman/bin/genaliases and that will create ~mailman/data/aliases
>which contains all the aliases needed for your existing Mailman lists
>(creation of new lists will also be automagically added).

I'm confused by this. When I run bin/genaliases, it shows all of the
aliases (which I can redirect to a file), but it doesn't automatically
create or update any files in /usr/local/mailman/data/

My system is working fine (I currently just added the aliases to
sendmail's /etc/aliases file), but I'm wondering if something is wrong
or if I am just misunderstanding something. I have RedHat 7.3,
Sendmail, and Mailman 2.1 installed from source.

Also a previous message mentioned that this information was in the
INSTALL file, but I didn't see anything there.