[Mailman-Users] list of lists fodder for spammers?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Mon Jan 27 00:55:39 CET 2003

On 26 Jan 2003 13:27:03 -0500
Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:

> I recommend that you front-end your mail servers with something like
> Spam Assassin.  If you really want to be thorough you can use
> Mailscanner with an anti-virus application that runs on
> Linux. Mailscanner will then use the local anti-virus application to
> scan all messages for viruses and then pump the remaining messages
> through a SpamAssassin filter to look for Spam.

Go for TMDA.  I've had it deployed here for near 8 months.  Most of my
lists receive ~40 SPAM messages per day, plus another ~20 virus messages
-- and that's in addition to basic list mail.  The -admin, and -owner
addresses receive almost as many.  Within those 8 months the number of
either that have made their way thru TMDA either to Mailman or me (as
-owner/-admin) can be counted on the fingers of two hands with fingers
left to spare.

Not bad for almost 8 months.

Even better the number of valid messages which their posters have not
bothered to confirm thru TMDA can be counted on the fingers of one hand.

TMDA __is__ your friend.

--
J C Lawrence