[Mailman-Users] configuring Mailman

Matthew Davis bigdog at dogpound.vnet.net
Wed Jan 22 04:36:44 CET 2003

* Jim Hodson (jimhodson at jenniferonsunday.com) wrote:
> Hello,
> I am working on setting up a Mailman mailing list for our web site at
> http://www.jenniferonsunday.com.  We are a band and already have many
> people on an exisiting list (done manually), which we want to migrate to
> Mailman.  Our site is hosted by Webanimotion, and they have Mailman on
> their server for us.

Well that might restrict what you can do with mailman unless your good
friends with them or done a few free shows for 'em.  But some of the things
your asking will need more than web-admin access.

> 1. Send e-mail news updates to our list.  We do not want users to be able
> to send to the list.

Check FAQ 3.11

> The problem I've run into seems to revolve around the password, and the
> Welcome E-mail.  The Welcome E-mail has a lot more information in it than
> we need.  For instance, that e-mail tells users that they can post to the
> list, which I do not want them to be able to do. I know I can turn off the
> feature about sending them the Welcome E-mail, but then they won't have
> their password.

Change the template for the message in the templates/ dir.

Worse case scenerio (spelled right?), user wants to unsubscribe, they have
to goto the web page and have the password emailed to them to unsubscribe.

I know thats not really the preferred method.

> Also, when I migrate our current users to our Mailman list, I don't want
> them to know about the migration.  However, if they don't get a Welcome
> E-mail, they also will not have a password, and will be unable to
> unsubscribe automatically.

You can also add text to the welcome messages in the General Options tab in
the 'Notificaions' section (for MM2.1).

> Is there a way to modify the Welcome E-mail (besides just the introduction
> to it)?  Is there a way to avoid having to use a password to unsubscribe?

http://satya.virtualave.net/download.html#mailmanw

It requires perl and MySQL, so it might not be able to fit into your setup.

| Matthew Davis /\ http://dogpound.vnet.net/ |
| Tuesday, January 21, 2003 / 10:13PM        |
When I was a kid my favorite relative was Uncle Caveman. After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.