[Mailman-Users] configuring Mailman

Jim Hodson jimhodson at jenniferonsunday.com
Sat Jan 18 19:50:47 CET 2003

Hello,
I am working on setting up a Mailman mailing list for our web site at
http://www.jenniferonsunday.com.  We are a band and already have many
people on an exisiting list (done manually), which we want to migrate to
Mailman.  Our site is hosted by Webanimotion, and they have Mailman on
their server for us.

We want a very simple mailing list system, and Mailman can do a lot more
than we need.  I'm trying to find out how to best configure Mailman for our
needs.  Here is what we want to do:
1. Send e-mail news updates to our list.  We do not want users to be able
to send to the list.
2. Users subscribe from our website.  Currently they enter their e-mail
address on the site, and click "Join", which sends the appropriate e-mail.
3. Users UNsubscribe as well.

The problem I've run into seems to revolve around the password, and the
Welcome E-mail.  The Welcome E-mail has a lot more information in it than
we need.  For instance, that e-mail tells users that they can post to the
list, which I do not want them to be able to do. I know I can turn off the
feature about sending them the Welcome E-mail, but then they won't have
their password.

Also, when I migrate our current users to our Mailman list, I don't want
them to know about the migration.  However, if they don't get a Welcome
E-mail, they also will not have a password, and will be unable to
unsubscribe automatically.

Is there a way to modify the Welcome E-mail (besides just the introduction
to it)?  Is there a way to avoid having to use a password to unsubscribe?

Thanks for any help you can provide.  We really just want a simple mailing
list to get information to our fans.

Thanks very much!
-Jim
http://www.jenniferonsunday.com