[Mailman-Users] Cannot install Mailman 2.1: bin/update fails (Solaris 9, Python 2.2.2)

Frank Thommen fthommen at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Jan 15 01:47:39 CET 2003

Hi,

I don't succeed in installing Mailman 2.1.  'make install' fails with the following messages:

# make install
[...]
Compiling /home/mailman/Mailman//Mailman/versions.py ...
bin/update: downgrade is detected), nothing will be done.^J^J    -h/--help^J        Print this text and exit.^J^JUse this script to help you update to the latest release of Mailman from^Jsome previous version.  It knows about versions back to 1.0b4 (?).^J""": not found
bin/update: Perform all necessary upgrades.^J^JUsage: %(PROGRAM)s [options]^J^JOptions:^J    -f/--force^J        Force running the upgrade procedures.  Normally, if the version number^J        of the installed Mailman matches the current version number (or a^J        : not found
bin/update: import: not found
bin/update: import: not found
bin/update: import: not found
bin/update: import: not found
bin/update: import: not found
bin/update: import: not found
bin/update: import: not found
bin/update: import: not found
bin/update: import: not found
bin/update: from: not found
bin/update: from: not found
bin/update: from: not found
bin/update: from: not found
bin/update: from: not found
bin/update: from: not found
bin/update: from: not found
bin/update: from: not found
bin/update: FRESH: not found
bin/update: NOTFRESH: not found
bin/update: syntax error at line 58: `(' unexpected
make: *** [update] Error 2
#

I tried with Mailman 2.1 tarballs from list.org and from sourceforge.  For 'make' I used solaris make and gnu make (3.80).  Python is a freshly installed Python 2.2.2.  Compiler is gcc 2.95.3.  There is no Mailman installed on the system yet.

It seems to me, that there might be a Python syntax error in bin/update, but since I don't know Python, I'm not sure about it.

Any hints, where the problem could come from or where I could start to look for a solution?

Thanks in advance

   Frank Thommen

** Problems, questions, feedback?  Mail to support at inf.ethz.ch **