[Mailman-Users] Mailman/htdig Success and a question or 3..

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 8 08:21:53 CET 2003

At 05:18 08/01/2003, Glenn Sieb wrote:
>First I just want to say:
>
>MAILMAN ROCKS! :)
>
>I managed to get 2.1 and htdig all running together and working
>peachykeen... :) it's a beautiful thing! My monthly mailers all work now,
>creating lists from the webinterface works, etc!
>
>However--a suggestion? In Defaults.py, once all the patches are added, we
>now see:
>
>ARCHIVE_INDEXING_ENABLE = '<!--/htdig_noindex-->'
>ARCHIVE_INDEXING_DISABLE = '<!--htdig_noindex-->'
># htdig integration parameters
># if you set USE_HTDIG then you must also set HTDIG_MAILMAN_LINK
># and HTDIG_RUNDIG_PATH to suit your htdig installation, for instance:
># HTDIG_MAILMAN_LINK = 'htdig-mailman'
># HTDIG_RUNDIG_PATH = '/usr/bin/rundig'
>USE_HTDIG = 0    # 0 - don't use integrated htdig, 1 - use it
>HTDIG_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/htdig/' # must end in a slash
>HTDIG_SEARCH_URL = '/cgi-bin/htsearch'
>HTDIG_FILES_URL = '/htdig/'
>HTDIG_CONF_LINK_DIR = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'archives', 'htdig')
>HTDIG_MAILMAN_LINK = 'htdig-mailman'
>HTDIG_RUNDIG_PATH = '/usr/local/bin/rundig'
>
>Now.. as far as I can tell, HTDIG_ARCHIVE_URL is just wrong.
>/mailman/htdig/ isn't the location of archives using Pipermail.. it's
>/mailman/pipermail ... So I'm wondering:
>
>1) Am I just reading this wrong? Is my setup somehow b0rken? I had to set
>HTDIG_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/pipermail/' in mm_cfg.py

/mailman/htdig/ is correct. This is explained in the file
$build/INSTALL.htdig-mm installed by the #444884 patch. In part it says:

<quote>
$prefix/cgi-bin/htdig
$prefix/Mailman/Cgi/htdig.py

     these are a CGI script and its wrapper, which is always on the path
of URLs returned from searches of htdig indices. The script provides
secure access to such URLs in the same way that the
$prefix/cgi-bin/private and $prefix/Mailman/Cgi/private.py. htdig.py
ensures private archives are kept private, applying the same
criteria for permitting access as private.py, and delivering
material from public archives without demanding any authentication.
</quote>