[Mailman-Users] problems with different chatsets (footer gets attached if different)

Ben Gertzfield che at debian.org
Mon Jan 6 20:25:49 CET 2003

Sebastian Talmon wrote:

>on my lists (Mailman 2.1, language: DE) I have the problem that:
>
> - if the user send with charset="iso-8859-1" anything is fine
>
> - if user sends with charset=us-ascii (some mailers do if there
>   are no german umlauts) then the footer from the mailinglist
>   gets attached and the Message is made Content-Type: multipart/mixed
>
>Is there a way to tell mailman NOT to attach the footer with the
>different charset but to write it in the normal message?

What would happen if you did include something in the footer with
iso-8859-1-only characters in it?  We would HAVE to attach the footer
with the different charset then.

It's theoretically possible to search through the whole header/footer of
each list to see if it is completely us-ascii, but this seems like a
hack to me.  Unless we do that, we have to assume that the footer is in
the list charset (iso-8859-1) which means that us-ascii messages will
get the footer attached as a MIME part.

Ben