[Mailman-Users] Re: ht://Dig error

C. Posey tester5-dated-1046790419.db799b at macvoodoo.ath.cx
Thu Feb 27 16:06:45 CET 2003

I am running Mailman 2.1 - fresh install last week

All qrunner processes are running under UID mailman.

> On the face of it this looks OK. What I am puzzled by is that the
> symlinks are owned root:mailman. I would have expected them to be
> owned by mailman:mailman. Ths links are normally automatically created
> as mail posted to the list is being dealt with by Mailman and I would
> expect the process concerned to be running under the mailman uid.
>
> What version of MM are you running? If MM 2.0.x is the qrunner cron
> job running under the mailman user? If MM 2.1 or 2.1.1 how are you
> starting mailmanctl?

Htdig came preinstalled with my Slackware install. It was initially
installed in /opt/var .. but I am old skool and prefer my www in
/var/www. I moved reqd htdig to /var/www/htdig.

/var/www/htdig/conf does contain config files, but where do I check to
see if CONFIG_DIR is set to that location

> How did you install htdig and can you confirm that the installation's
> default CONFIG_DIR is /var/www/htdig/conf?

Yes ...

USE_HTDIG = 1    # 0 - don't use integrated htdig, 1 - use it
HTDIG_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/htdig/' # must end in a slash
HTDIG_SEARCH_URL = '/cgi-bin/htsearch'
HTDIG_FILES_URL = '/htdig/'
HTDIG_CONF_LINK_DIR = os.path.join(VAR_PREFIX, 'archives', 'htdig')
HTDIG_MAILMAN_LINK = 'htdig-mailman'
HTDIG_RUNDIG_PATH = '/usr/local/bin/rundig'

> I'm assuming that either your /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py
> or mm_cfg.py contains the following line:
>
> HTDIG_MAILMAN_LINK = htdig-mailman

Yes - my /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/ contains
this...

drwxrwsr-x    2 mailman  mailman      4096 Feb 25 23:14 .
drwxrwsr-x    6 mailman  mailman      4096 Feb 20 17:04 ..
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     mailman    110592 Feb 25 23:14 db.docdb
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     mailman      6144 Feb 25 23:14 db.docs.index
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     mailman    151894 Feb 25 23:14 db.wordlist
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     mailman    227328 Feb 25 23:14 db.words.db
-rw-rw-rw-    1 mailman  mailman      3850 Feb  6 07:33
macvoodoolist.conf
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     mailman         0 Feb 25 23:15 rundig_last_run

Although I notice - here also root is the owner of some of the files

> Your previous post indicated that nightly_htdig was running OK. I take
> it that the /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/
> directories contain the <listname>.conf files that are the subject of
> the symlinks. Also that, following nightly_htdig they contain files
> like this:
>
> mailman at mailman2:/mailman/run/archives/private/rbtest/htdig> ls -l
> total 20
> -rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman      2048 Feb 25 17:45 db.docdb
> -rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman      2048 Feb 25 17:45 db.docs.index
> -rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman       128 Feb 25 17:45 db.wordlist
> -rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman      2048 Feb 25 17:45 db.words.db
> -rw-rw-rw-    1 mailman  mailman      3879 Feb 25 17:38 rbtest.conf
> -rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman         0 Feb 25 17:45 rundig_last_run

Tried your recommendation, I can verify that all the files are cleared
with blowaway, and the serachform is removed from TOC. After sending a
msg to the list, the search form is available again and the respective
files have been recreated. Running the nightly cronjob within the
mailman crontab - gives me the following errors though:

Subject: cron: /usr/local/bin/python -S
/usr/local/mailman/cron/nightly_htdig mailman. Note the last line - it
is still pointing to the old /opt/www/htdig location. Can that be
changed in config file or is that compiled into htdig. Maybe I just
need to recompile htdig to my preferred location.

DB2 problem...: /var/www/htdig/db/word2root.db: Permission denied
DB2 problem...: /var/www/htdig/db/root2word.db: Permission denied
/var/www/htdig/bin/rundig: line 68: 23659 Segmentation fault
$BINDIR/htfuzzy $opts endings
DB2 problem...: /opt/www/htdig/common/synonyms.db: Permission denied

I tried changing the group on the file in /var/www/htdig/db/ to
mailman, but that had no effect.

Any attempts to use the search page yields:

ht://Dig error
htsearch detected an error.  Please report this to the webmaster of
this site.  The error message is:
Unable to read configuration file

> You could try the following and see if it has any beneficial effects:
>
> 1. Select one of your lists and run
> /usr/local/mailman/bin/blowaway_htdig for that list
>
> 2. The search form should now be gone from the list's TOC page
>
> 3, Send a message to the list
>
> 4. The search form should now be back on the list's TOC page. The
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/<listname>.conf
> file should be back and alone in the dirctory. Also the symlink in
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/htdig/ should be back.
>
> 5. Run nightly_htdig -v <listname> to rebuild the list's search
> indexes and confirm the script says it is doing so. This should add
> the extra files to
> /usr/local/mailman/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/ and update the
> list's TOC page.
>
> 6. Searching should now work.

Thank you VERY much for all your help. I am reinstalling htdig 3.1.6 as
we speak. I'll let you know if that works any better. Or if you have
any suggestions - please send.