[Mailman-Users] Re: Example of bad line break in subject header

Vince LaMonica vjl at soceco.uci.edu
Tue Feb 25 23:20:01 CET 2003

On Monday, February 24, 2003, at 06:52 AM, Mitchell Marks wrote:

> Thank you for these patches.  They didn't yet solve the problem.
> However, I think I can clarify the circumstances under which it
> occurs.  It seems to be not the list settings (for Language or
> Personalization) which matter, but the message's original type.
> Specifically, I'm seeing the problem when the message is text/html
> when it arrives.  (MM is sending it back out as multipart/mixed).
> These messages do not generally have any hi-bit or encoded characters
> in their Subjects.

We're seeing that problem here as well, though I've confirmed it has
happened with text/plain as the content type [as sent out by MM]. I
upgraded MM from 2.0.13 to 2.1.1 on the 16th of Feb, just before NOW
reported the problem to MM-users. Unfortunately most of our users use
Eudora [5.1.1 or 5.2 under win2k]. Some have HTML mail enabled, others
don't.

I usually use Pine [though sometimes OS X mail], and haven't seen the
problem viewing mail from either of those MUAs. So far, the problem has
affected all of our 30+ lists, as some folks seem to have the habit of
making really long subjects. I've already hand-entered all of the
users' real names into the list rosters, so I would hate to move back
to 2.0.13 as that feature was not available.

I have a development box that I can put MM on and test out if anyone
has other patches that might be worth trying.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

/vjl/

--
Vince LaMonica               UC Irvine,  School  of  Social Ecology
  W3 Developer       <*>      116 Social Ecology I, Irvine, CA 92697

"This is like losing a game by forfeit when your team was ahead
with the bases loaded and your best batter on deck."
  - Rep. John Conyers, on the DOJ agreeing to settle with Microsoft