[Mailman-Users] Mailman's Host Name & sendmail's Virtual Users

Keith Mastin kmastin at beechtree.ca
Sun Feb 16 21:00:41 CET 2003

>I recently installed Mailman 2.1.1 on a RedHat 8 box.  I'd like the one
>machine to be a listserver for two domains:  www.tcf.ua.edu and
>www.cinemastudies.org (which is set up as a virtual host on Apache 1.3.27).
>
>Mailman seems to be set okay on www.tcf.ua.edu, but when I tried something
>similar with SCMS-L at www.cinemastudies.org and sent e-mail to it, I got
>
>550 5.7.1 <SCMS-L at www.cinemastudies.org>... Relaying denied
>
>In Mailman's General Options Section, I set the "Host name this list
>prefers for email" to www.cinemastudies.org, but this didn't do the trick.
>
>So, I poked around in the sendmail docs and found the following bit about

Hope I'm not too far out of line here, but I gotta say it. If this is your
first mail server, you might find that postfix is easier to setup and
understand. Virtual tables make a lot more sense and you can edit the
config file (main.cf) directly rather than running it through m4.

What you are trying to do can be done in postfix in about a minute, by
creating one file, adding a line or two to the main.cf file and running
postfix reload. (As long as you dns is set up correctly, that is.)