[Mailman-Users] Trouble w/MM & Postfix

Ted Dively ted at groupd.com
Fri Feb 7 18:29:15 CET 2003

Greetings, fellow listers!

I've been struggling with getting Mailman to run on one of our boxes,
and I suspect it might be something funky about the Mailman-to-Postfix
connectivity, especially since the normal Postfix-UW IMAP/POP system
works fine. I don't think Mac OSX Server v.10.2.3 has anything to do
with it, but you never know. Without further ado the pertinent details
are:

* Power Mac G4 with 1.5GB RAM, two 120GB ATA drives running OSXS
v.10.2.3 & BIND v.8.2.3 (secondary/slave DNS for our domain)
* Mailman v.2.1
* Python v.2.2
* Postfix v.1.1.11
* UW IMAP/POP v.?? (the latest as of December)
* Mail version 8.1 6/6/93
* SquirrelMail v.?? (the one that ships with OSXS v.10.2.3)

I followed the directions for installing both packages, and in the case
of Mailman, I relied heavily on a slightly-outdated-but-usable, article
posted at afp548.com. The URL at AF548.com is:

http://www.afp548.com/Articles/mail/postfix.html

In any case, it all seems to run fine, permissions seem okay, and
everything, except that mail destined for subscribers never gets to
them. For instance, if I subscribe to a list via the browser interface,
it says a confirmation is on the way, but it never arrives. If I
directly subscribe someone from the admin interface, it says they're
good to go, but again, no confirmation e-mail ever gets to the
subscriber. The messages don't bounce, but rather, they seem to
disappear down a rat hole. I'm not sure which logs to examine,
otherwise I'd have already done so. When I SSH into the box via a
terminal, and look at the "pending.pck" file for the list in question,
this is its contents:

(dp1
S'37af3753f88b828c26d1081411347d7f92b8954b'
p2
(S'S'
(iMailman.UserDesc
UserDesc
(dp3
S'fullname'
p4
VZaphod Beeblebrox
sS'password'
p5
S'monkey'
p6
sS'language'
p7
S'en'
p8
sS'digest'
p9
I0
sS'address'
p10
S'teddyd at well.com'
sbtsS'6a045aac253743d4baa7439be3b16a8214665b3b'
p11
(S'S'
(iMailman.UserDesc
UserDesc
p12
(dp13
g7
S'en'
p14
sS'invitation'
p15
I1
sg10
S'ted at esnakeoil.net'
p16
sg4
sg5
S'biekdu'
sg9
I0
sbtp17
sS'evictions'
p18
(dp19
g2
F1043133905.280624
sg11
F1043135121.183454
sS'878995253c4b047a55f59f7fd1af9808ff658b98'
p20
F1043134115.092815
ssS'version'
p21
I1
sg20
(S'S'
(iMailman.UserDesc
UserDesc
(dp22
g7
g8
sg15
I1
sg10
S'teddyd at well.com'
sg4
sg5
S'heagiw'
p23
sg9
I0
sbtp24
s.

 From what I can see, it looks as though it's gathering the correct
information from the Web GUI, then simply sitting on it. Any ideas of
what I might have done wrong here?

If you all want to check it out for yourselves, the machine is at:

The list in question is "gdc-tests", the one with a description. The
other list is one I created in the terminal by following the AFP548.com
instructions, but it won't let me edit it in the GUI. > <sigh>

TIA for any guidance you can offer this poor sap!

Ted Dively
*********
Group D Communications -- IT Support, Databases, Networking, Web Sites
POB 170697
San Francisco, CA 94117-0697
PH 415.401.8333 x305
FX 415.401.8334