[Mailman-Users] Disabling VERP

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 00:00:18 CET 2003

At 22:42 04/02/2003, Tom Maddox wrote:
> > > I tried twiddling the VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL setting, but it made no
> > > difference.
> >
> > Hey Tom... a couple of questions (forgive me if they sound silly, or if
> > they've already been asked):
> >
> > 1) Are you changing ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py--not
> > ~mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py? (and if you're changing Defaults.py, you may
> > want to check mm_cfg.py... however, in practice you really don't want to
> > muck with Defaults.py...)
>
>Yep, I'm changing mm_cfg.py.
>
> > 1) Have you stopped & restarted Apache? (apachectl stop && apachectl
> > start(ssl))
> >
> > 2) Have you stopped & restarted mailman? (mailmanctl restart)
>
>No and no.  I thought that the Python code got run each time a new message
>was received.  If that's not the case, that may explain part of my problem.

A Mailman delivery script is run by the MTA to deliver each post to
Mailman. This just sticks the message in queue for further processing.

In MM 2.1 the $prefix/bin/mailmanctl script starts a daemon which takes
incoming posts from the queue and eventually sends out the copies of the
posted message to the subscribers.

With MM 2.1, if you change $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py, you need to run the
command '$prefix/bin/mailmanctl restart' to get the daemon to take notice
of the changes in mm_cfg.

This is in contrast to MM 2.0 .x where it wasn't a daemon that did the real
stuff but a script that was run regularly by cron. With that arrangement,
the next invocation of the script picked up any changes in mm_cfg without
you having to do anything.