[Mailman-Users] Disabling VERP

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 4 23:51:10 CET 2003

At 22:02 04/02/2003, Tom Maddox wrote:
> > fashion?  My
> > headers, not the

> > >Good theory, but sadly false.  I didn't configure anything special when I
> > >upgraded to 2.1, and I'm getting the VERP headers.
> > >

> > Odd because this is exactly the setup I have with MM 2.1 and Mailman does
> > not send out VERP'ed return address. But it did for a period when I set
> > VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 1 to evaluate the performance impact of VERP'ing
> > (and flush out a few irritating untraceable bouncing mail
> > addresses). When
> > I changed back to VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL = 0, return addresses stopped
> > being VERP'ed and the outgoing mail started being chunked again.
>
>I tried twiddling the VERP_DELIVERY_INTERVAL setting, but it made no
>difference.

It looks like the code that initiates VERP'ed return addresses is in
$prefix/Mailman/Handlers/ToOutgoing.py and is enacted in
$prefix/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py.

I cannot see anything in those modules that would lead to VERP'ing without
one of the appropriate variable being true.

What exactly is being logged by your SMTP host for the messages which your
users complain of?