[Mailman-Users] Postfix not sending mail

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Tue Dec 16 14:19:52 CET 2003

16-Dec-03 at 13:22, Thomas Murphy (murphy at thepanemgroup.com) wrote :
> >So why is the address being rewritten? Are you doing anything with
> >transport maps, canonical maps, something like that?
>
> damn. you are right. i have not checked this before but seems that
> confixx (an webserver control program, like cpanel) is messing with the
> configuration.
> it puts a lot of stuff (canonical, transport,etc.) at the end of
> main.cf. in a file called virtaul_users it defines something like:
>
> @netmilk web1p1
>
> i think thats the problem - unfortunatly i have experienced that it
> rewrites all of its own configuration files with a cron-job. so it's no
> option to edit this files it created itself.
>
> i tried to include the mailman aliases below that configuration and i
> got an error message by postfix:
>
> <"|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post
>     netmilk-general"@p15135765.pureserver.info>: unknown user:
>     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post netmilk-general"

Looks to me like that command isn't being executed. The alias should
actually cause the message to be piped to mailman, which executes a
program to read the message before posting it to the list. Mailman will
then look after address expansion, delivery by digest and non digest,
archiving etc.

It would seem that piping isn't working. "pipe" is the Postfix process
that looks after this, is it correctly configured in master.cf? Also,
make sure the aliases file does not have the @p15135765.pureserver.info
at the end (I'm assuming Postfix added that when pipe failed, maybe
something else is missing).

Since this really seems to be a specific context, it is difficult to
help you out too much; you may have to rely on your own searching around
to get too much further with this.

Regards,

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access