[Mailman-Users] feature request: rules on new mailing list names?

James Ralston qralston+ml.mailman-users at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Dec 9 02:43:47 CET 2003

I've skimmed the FAQ and the mailing list archives, but I didn't see
this subject come up...

I'm using Mailman 2.1.1.  I really need to be able to prevent people
who are using the "list creator" role from being able to create
mailing lists with certain names.

I'd like to be able to specify a list of regular expressions to
consider "bad", like so:

    ^postmaster$
    ^abuse$
    ^news$
    -request$
    ^owner-

Ideally, I'd also like to be able to enforce a rule that all mailing
list names must match a certain regular expression.  E.g.:

    ^[:alpha:][:alnum:]*(-[:alnum:]+)*$

A new list name would only be permitted if it didn't match any of the
"bad" regular expressions *and* matched the "good" regular expression.

While I'm not very familiar with Python, from a cursory examination of
the code, it would appear that Mailman doesn't offer this feature.  Am
I mistaken?

Assuming I'm not mistaken, would there be any resistance to adding
this feature?  And what would be the best mechanism to do so?

Regards,

--
James Ralston, Information Technology
Software Engineering Institute