[Mailman-Users] Having Problems with Different Port

Seth Lake caver at verizon.net
Mon Dec 8 21:07:26 CET 2003

Howdy.

Here's my situation...

my DSL ISP (verizon) blocks port 80.  I registered a domain and found a dynamic DNS service that will forward requests.  i forward 'www.on-rope.net' to 'on-rope.net:8080'.  at my firewall i forward all port 8080 traffic to port 80 on the www server.  so far not bad, but now i try to get mailman working...

just setting...
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'on-rope.net'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'www.on-rope.net'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'on-rope.net'
DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'on-rope.net:8080'
...doesn't work right.  on the main index page there's a main email address, 'mailman at on-rope.net'.  but instead of that, what it should be, it says 'mailman at on-rope.net:8080' and i can't figure out where this is set or how to change it.

another problem i have is when a user clicks on the archive link the link tries to send the user to 'http://www.on-rope.net/mailman/private/<list>/'.  interestingly, this does not happen on empty archives, only after a message has gone though the list.   i fixed / hacked this problem by putting this in my config file...
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL = 'http://on-rope.net:8080/pipermail/%(listname)s'
...which seemed to work.

so okay, now i seem to have pretty much everything working okay except for the mailman email address on the main page.  no big deal, i guess i can live with that.  i'm doing all this at work so i can make sure it works from outside the firewall and ISP's blocked ports and all that.  and, at the end of the day, i go home.

hmm, more problems.  i can access any of my web stuff at home.  when i go to my web server ('http://www.on-rope.net/mailman/listinfo' from home, no need for port forwarding) there are no lists.  i edit my apache config and add 'Listen *:8080' and then try 'www.on-rope.net:8080' but mailman still says no lists.  this may be because of the 'www' but without the hostname my brwser just spins it's wheels at home, doesn't know where to get the page from.  i notice that there's no port in the page heading when i'm at home, at work the main heading is 'on-rope.net:8080 Mailing Lists' but when i'm at home the heading is 'www.on-rope.net Mailing Lists' no matter what port i put in.

so how can i access the same lists from home and abroad?  i don't need/want to host more than a few lists and i have a feeling that the virtual host system is what's messing with me.  is there a way to turn it off?  i tried this...
add_virtualhost('www.on-rope.net', DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)
...to no avail.  any help is greatly appreciated.