[Mailman-Users] GCC Installation for Compiling Mailman

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Thu Dec 4 18:13:06 CET 2003

04-Dec-03 at 12:04, Brent Shafer (brent_s at treca.org) wrote :
> So...  I've downloaded GCC 3.3.2 but cannot get it to configure
> properly as I get the following error:
>
> [mailman at localhost mailman]$ cd gcc-3.3.2
> [mailman at localhost gcc-3.3.2]$ ./configure
> Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld host.
> Created "Makefile" in /home/mailman/gcc-3.3.2 using "mt-frag"
> ../configure: line 8: cc: command not found
> *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
> [mailman at localhost gcc-3.3.2]$
>
> Also, are there any other problems that I can expect to run into as I go
> along with this setup or should this be the final hurdle to jump?

If you don't already have a compiler, you can't compile a compiler :)

So you'll have to get a binary, probably your best bet is to install the
gcc RPM. There's all sorts of stuff you'll also need, that's really
outside the scope of a Mailman mailing list; does RedHat have some sort
of dependency checking? You need the compiler plus tools and all that.
If I recall correctly it's quite a list of stuff!

If your install didn't already have developer tools and a compiler, it's
a lot more difficult than choosing the compiler at install time, which
will make sure you have everything you need.

Maybe there's a Mailman RPM you could use instead of compiling
everything, I wonder if anyone on the list has a good source for a
Mailman RPM for RH8.0?

Regards,

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access