[Mailman-Users] GCC Installation for Compiling Mailman

Brent Shafer brent_s at treca.org
Thu Dec 4 18:04:49 CET 2003

With your guidance, I have successfully update the python distutil's...
  which brings me to my next installation issue...  I received the
following message:

[mailman at localhost mailman-2.1.3]$ ./configure
checking for --with-python... no
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking Python interpreter... /usr/bin/python
checking Python version... 2.2.1
checking that Python has a working distutils... yes
checking for true... /bin/true
checking for --without-gcc... no
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.

So...  I've downloaded GCC 3.3.2 but cannot get it to configure
properly as I get the following error:

[mailman at localhost mailman]$ cd gcc-3.3.2
[mailman at localhost gcc-3.3.2]$ ./configure
Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld host.
Created "Makefile" in /home/mailman/gcc-3.3.2 using "mt-frag"
../configure: line 8: cc: command not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
[mailman at localhost gcc-3.3.2]$

Also, are there any other problems that I can expect to run into as I go
along with this setup or should this be the final hurdle to jump?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

Sincerely,
Brent Shafer