[Mailman-Users] Mail not sent: unknown encoding?

Simon White simon at caperet.com
Thu Dec 4 15:39:23 CET 2003

04-Dec-03 at 09:18, Jon Carnes (jonc at nc.rr.com) wrote :

> > > +-+-+
> > >   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py", line 262,
> > > in prefix_subject
> > >     h.append(s, c)
> > >   File "/usr/local/mailman/pythonlib/email/Header.py", line 285, in
> > > append
> > >     s = s.encode(outcodec, errors)
> > > LookupError: unknown encoding
> > > +-+-+
> > >
> > > Why did this message not go out? Where else can I look for clues?
>
> Look at the message itself.  Looks like the message was encoded (or
> tagged) with a value that Python doesn't understand - so it booted it.

> > The message in question had a French subject line with one 8 bit
> > character (é)... could that have caused problems?
>
> Yes.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your response. Clearly someone's mail software is
putting in 8 bit headers, not encoding them using RFC 2047, and
therefore Mailman is shunting the mail. At least I know what to look for
now.

Is there any resource I can read (bar the source) on how 8 bit headers /
bodies are treated? Does Mailman clobber 8 bit bodies, etc etc?

Regards,

--
Simon White. Internet Consultant, Linux/Windows Server Administration.
email, dns and web servers; php javascript perl asp; MySQL MSSQL Access