[Mailman-Users] The & causing a problem

gagel at cnc.bc.ca gagel at cnc.bc.ca
Wed Dec 3 21:31:43 CET 2003

I'm getting more confused by the second...
I've removed the list and re-created it without the "&" in the name.

What happend is I'm transfering from an old server to a new mailman
server. The list created just fine and displays just fine. It seems
postfix is recieving the list name seperated as two names instead of a
single name. Messages to the old list server using the list name with
the & in it are not a problem with postfix. But mailman must be doing
or not doing something with postfix that caused the error.

----- Original Message Follows -----
> While this is all true to some degree, don't overlook something even
> more  obvious with regards to mailman, the web interface in trying
> to display  that list name would actually be trying to display a
> page that takes a  parameter. Apache / IIS would be significantly
> confused for sure.  &'s are  not valid in HTML file names as they
> specify a part of a parameter list on  the url.
>
> It's always a good practice to stick with a-z 0-9 _-. only in names
> and  you'll never have any sort of issue with email servers or web
> servers.
>
> just my 0.02 worth
> --Ed

> >SW> The & in shell has a special meaning, it would have to be
> "escaped", >SW> because
> >
> >If you read Business Week, the "Tech & You" column has a comment
> email >address of tech&you at businessweek.com
> >
> >Just because the unix shell does something with & doesn't mean it
> is >invalid for local part of email addresses.  The Mailman aliases
> should >protect that in any case, because it could be used as a
> vector for >attack, even if it does require sysadmin assistance ;-)

> Searchable Archives:
>
> This message was sent to: gagel at cnc.bc.ca
> Unsubscribe or change your options at

http://mail.python.org/mailman/options/mailman-users/gagel%40cnc.bc.ca