[Mailman-Users] Mailman wont send mail

Todd Freedom_Lover at pobox.com
Tue Dec 2 03:26:11 CET 2003

Zimmermann Christian wrote:
> I have a problem with mailman and postfix.  I set up mailman out of
> the box on my suse 8.2 system.  I have made the changes in my
> httpd.conf and createt a new list called gfn-nasen.  The needed
> entries In my /etc/aliases are also there- I think so.
>
> gfn-nasen:             "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman post gfn-nasen"
> gfn-nasen-admin:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin gfn-nasen"
> gfn-nasen-bounces:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman bounces gfn-nasen"
> gfn-nasen-confirm:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman confirm gfn-nasen"
> gfn-nasen-join:        "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman join gfn-nasen"
> gfn-nasen-leave:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman leave gfn-nasen"
> gfn-nasen-owner:       "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman owner gfn-nasen"
> gfn-nasen-request:     "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request gfn-nasen"
> gfn-nasen-subscribe:   "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe gfn-nasen"
> gfn-nasen-unsubscribe: "|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe gfn-nasen"

Sort of a tangent, but if you're using postfix, you can automate the
alias handling.  Check out README.POSTFIX included with mailman for
details.  And check the FAQ and list archives for some common issues
people have getting this to work.

> When I send a mail to gfn-nasen-request at mail.virtuelle-apotheke.de
> the mail is accepted by my postfix server.
[...]
> But after that nothing happens anymore. Mailman doesent answer :-(.
>
> Even when I invite someone from the webinterface Mailman says "you
> successfully invited user at host.de " but I get no mail, and can´t see
> anything in the logfile.
>
> Does anyone know where the mistake is?

If you're using mailman >= 2.1, you probably don't have the mailman
service started.  If you're using 2.0, then you might not have the
mailman cron entries installed.  Check the docs included with your
install to see if there are post install steps your distribution
requires you to take.

> Sorry for my english, I´m german sorry for that to ;)

Hehe. :)

- --
Relying on government to protect your privacy is like asking a peeping
tom to install your window blinds.
    -- John Barlow, co-founder of EFF