[Mailman-Users] v2.1.1 and Archive download problem

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Aug 15 00:19:00 CEST 2003

On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 08:40  pm, Anders Norrbring wrote:

> I have the precis same problem, seems like the URL is not converted
> right,
> in my IE6 it comes up with:
>
> mhtml:http://www.the-server.net/pipermail/fetishclub_info.mbox/
> fetishclub_in
> fo.mbox
>
> Which of course is totally wrong..

In the case of my Mailman machine, for a public archive, the Apache
server was returning the HTTP response header Content-Type:
message/rfc822 for .mbox files.

IE6's behaviour when trying to render a .mbox file appears to be due to
this header value.

This Content-Type header results from a combination of the Apache
server's mime.types and magic configuration files. Change those so that
Apache returned a Content-Type: text/plain header for a .mbox file and
IE6 renders the .mbox as text OK.

In the case of a private archive, the $prefix/Mailman/Cgi/private.py
returns a Content-Type: text/plain header which IE6 renders as text
without problems.

It might be possible to adjust some IE setting to persuade it to
respond more appropriately to the Content-Type: message/rfc822. But its
is late and I am tired and I hate non-Open Software so I leave this as
a task for the reader.

This is not a Mailman problem per se.