[Mailman-Users] List Admin sent to wrong domain--solved

John Locke mail at freelock.com
Wed Aug 13 21:47:38 CEST 2003

Hello,

I'm surprised nobody had an answer for this. Anyway, I just figured it
out. While checking top on the server, I noticed that a Python process
owned by mailman was taking up all the extra CPU, at a low priority,
with some 52 hours of processing time.

I used mailmanctl to stop and restart, but the process came right back
up to the top of the list. So I tried doing an strace on the process,
and it was quite active... it kept adding, renaming, and deleting a file
in qfiles/out.

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 13:11, John Locke wrote:

> I checked in the qfiles/ directories, couldn't find it there. I tried
> stopping and starting mailmanctl. I checked all of the Postfix queues,
> and it's nowhere to be found. Where do I find this message, and how do I
> get rid of it?

So I rechecked this directory, and found that mailman kept creating and
deleting two files, a .db and a .pck in this directory, each time with a
new name, a few times a second! I stopped mailmanctl, and this time the
files were there. I deleted them, restarted mailmanctl, and both
problems are solved--no more attempts to mail to the bad domain every
hour, and mailman is no longer hogging all the cpu time.

Cheers,
John Locke
Owner, Freelock, LLC
Small Business Computing with Open Source
http://www.freelock.com