[Mailman-Users] new version of mailman installed in different place...

Aaron Falk falk at isi.edu
Thu Aug 7 06:54:30 CEST 2003

Hi-

I just upgraded from RH7.3 to RH9 and, while I had initially installed
mailman 2.0.13 in /usr/share/mailman, I let RH install 2.1 during the
upgrade.  Afterwards, I discovered that the new location is
/var/mailman.

I thought that moving the lists to the new location would be a simple
matter.  As user mailman I tarred up the mailman/archive/* and
mailman/lists/* directories, moved them to the new location, and
untarred them.  I restarted httpd and could get to the list admin
login page but, upon logging in, I get an error.  Also, the lists are
not forwarding mail.  (The lists are primarily for a bunch of YMCA
programs which are moribund during the summer so there is no traffic
at this time.)

Can anyone suggest either a way to fix my current move/upgrade
strategy or tell me the right way to start over?  I'm pasting in the
error message below.

Thanks,

--aaron

Bug in Mailman version 2.1

We're sorry, we hit a bug!
If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy
of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
happened. Thanks!

Traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
    main()
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admin.py", line 82, in main
    cgidata.getvalue('adminpw', '')):
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/SecurityManager.py", line 216, in
  WebAuthenticate
    ac = self.Authenticate(authcontexts, response, user)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/SecurityManager.py", line 182, in
  Authenticate
    self.Save()
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 505, in Save
    self.__save(dict)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/MailList.py", line 463, in __save
    fp = open(fname_tmp, 'w')
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied:
  '/var/mailman/lists/test/config.pck.tmp.nit.isi.edu.2223'

Python information:
Variable Value
sys.version 2.2.2 (#1, Feb 24 2003, 19:13:11) [GCC 3.2.2 20030222 (Red
Hat Linux 3.2.2-4)]
sys.executable /usr/bin/python
sys.prefix /usr
sys.exec_prefix /usr
sys.path /usr
sys.platform linux2

Environment variables:
Variable Value
CONTENT_LENGTH  16
CONTENT_TYPE  application/x-www-form-urlencoded
HTTP_REFERER  http://nit.isi.edu/mailman/admin/test
SCRIPT_FILENAME  /var/mailman/cgi-bin/admin
PYTHONPATH  /var/mailman
SERVER_SOFTWARE  Apache/2.0.40 (Red Hat Linux)
SERVER_ADMIN  root at localhost
SCRIPT_NAME  /mailman/admin
SERVER_SIGNATURE  Apache/2.0.40 Server at nit Port 80
REQUEST_METHOD  POST
HTTP_HOST  nit.isi.edu
PATH_INFO  /test
SERVER_PROTOCOL  HTTP/1.1
QUERY_STRING
HTTP_CACHE_CONTROL  no-cache
REQUEST_URI  /mailman/admin/test
HTTP_ACCEPT  image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg,
application/vnd.ms-excel, application/vnd.ms-powerpoint,
application/msword, */*
PATH_TRANSLATED  /var/www/html/test
HTTP_USER_AGENT  Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
HTTP_CONNECTION  Keep-Alive
SERVER_NAME  nit
REMOTE_ADDR  64.81.33.165
REMOTE_PORT  1373
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE  en-us
UNIQUE_ID  RQE4DIAJoHQAAAQ3NR8AAAAD
SERVER_PORT  80
GATEWAY_INTERFACE  CGI/1.1
REMOTE_HOST  dsl081-033-165.lax1.dsl.speakeasy.net
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING  gzip, deflate
SERVER_ADDR  128.9.160.116
DOCUMENT_ROOT  /var/www/html