[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Xmail

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Apr 30 17:26:34 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 10:26, Toby Reiter wrote:

> Issue #1:
> I'm trying to set up email to be directed to email (the way it
> normally would using aliases). I've pretty much figured out how this
> might work from the Xmail side. But I'm having trouble while invoking
> the wrapper. That is, I'm not getting any response, feedback, etc
> that something is working (i.e. no emails, no changes to the log
> files, nada).  I guess one question might be: is
> /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman the proper way to invoke the wrapper?
> If not, what is? I know how one might do this for Sendmail, but not
> for Xmail.
>
> The command line I'm trying currently, which doesn't work, is:
>
>       $ cat messagefile | /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman action list

before doing this make sure you have su'ed as the user that xmail runs
as.  Also if you want Mailman to respond, make sure that you have
mailmanctl running

I just tested it on a system running Mailman version 2.1.1 and postfix,
su'ed as the user "mailman". It worked just fine.

#1 is definitely an xmail issue.  Here is a typical aliases section for
a Mailman list called test3:

# STANZA START: test3
# CREATED: Fri Apr 11 16:19:46 2003
test3:             "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test3"
test3-admin:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin test3"
test3-bounces:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces test3"
test3-confirm:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm test3"
test3-join:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join test3"
test3-leave:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave test3"
test3-owner:       "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner test3"
test3-request:     "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request test3"
test3-subscribe:   "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe test3"
test3-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe test3"
# STANZA END: test3

Note:

> Issue #2:
> I know the big thing about mailman is that it has a great web
> interface, but we'd prefer for our users to use email commands, or a
> web interface that we would build (which would actually simply send
> email commands on to Mailman). We also would prefer not to run a web
> server on our mail server or create an NFS volume link on our
> currently Windows-based web server. Are there significant issues with
> not enabling the web aspects of Mailman?  Is it possible to hide all
> references to the web interface from the administrative emails that
> are sent (i.e. subscriptions, unsubscriptions, etc).

You will need/want to run the web-admin tool.  If you are worried about
it from a security stand point, then just run the web-interface locally
or only allow specified ip's to access port 80.

Good Luck, and let us know what you needed to do to get Mailman running
with Xmail.

Jon Carnes