[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Xmail

Toby Reiter toby at breezing.com
Wed Apr 30 16:26:45 CEST 2003

To all,
I'd like to apologize upfront because I'm a completely newbie with
this and will be presumably be asking a lot of questions over the
next couple of days.

Ok, so I'm trying to configure using MailMan with Xmail.  I image
that someone has done this before somewhere, so I would really prefer
not to re-invent the wheel here. As much as possible, I'm going to
try and limit the amount of Xmail specific issues I raise here, since
this isn't the list for that.

Issue #1:
I'm trying to set up email to be directed to email (the way it
normally would using aliases). I've pretty much figured out how this
might work from the Xmail side. But I'm having trouble while invoking
the wrapper. That is, I'm not getting any response, feedback, etc
that something is working (i.e. no emails, no changes to the log
files, nada).  I guess one question might be: is
/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman the proper way to invoke the wrapper?
If not, what is? I know how one might do this for Sendmail, but not
for Xmail.

The command line I'm trying currently, which doesn't work, is:

      $ cat messagefile | /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman action list

where messagefile is an email message, action is a specific action
(i.e. subscribe) and list is a specific list.

Issue #2:
I know the big thing about mailman is that it has a great web
interface, but we'd prefer for our users to use email commands, or a
web interface that we would build (which would actually simply send
email commands on to Mailman). We also would prefer not to run a web
server on our mail server or create an NFS volume link on our
currently Windows-based web server. Are there significant issues with
not enabling the web aspects of Mailman?  Is it possible to hide all
references to the web interface from the administrative emails that
are sent (i.e. subscriptions, unsubscriptions, etc).

Ok, that's it for now. If people have experience with both 1 & 2
meaning that we shouldn't use Mailman, what suggestions do people
have? From my research, Mailman seems to be the most robust open
source (or even non-open source) mailing list solution.

Thanks in advance for your help,
Toby
Toby Reiter                          mailto:toby at breezing.com
Breezing Internet Communications     http://www.breezing.com
1106 West Main St                    phone:434.295.2050
Charlottesville, VA 22903            fax:603.843.6931