[Mailman-Users] duplicate messages

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 26 19:13:50 CEST 2003

At 16:05 26/04/2003, Brad Barnett wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:42:13 +0100
>Richard Barrett <r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > At 15:22 26/04/2003, Brad Barnett wrote:
> >

> > >Hey all,
> > >
> > >I've had a very bizarre situation occur with Mailman just last week.
> > >After one post to the list, Mailman started generating duplicate after
> > >duplicate of this same message.  It was caught in the process of
> > >sending the fourth message out.
> > >
> > >The list.mbox file shows 4 identical messages, even if using diff to
> > >check them against each other.  They all have the same message ID, the
> > >same send time, etc.  Each of these messages was sent to the over 10k
> > >users on this list, and I still don't know why.
> >
> > What version of Mailman are you using?
>

>2.0.13, on Redhat 8.0.
> >
> > Are you sure Mailman did  not have four copies of this message delivered
> > to it by your MTA?
> >
> > Have you checked your MTA's mail log to see if any trace of these events
> > are showing there?
>
>I've scoured the sendmail logs, but I can't see any indication of it.  Of
>course, these would have to be _identical_ messages, since Mailman has
>four identical messages in its mbox.  Everything, even the receipt time is
>identical.
>
>Is there any way to verify messages received / sent from the mailman logs?

You should find an entry(ies) in MM's $prefix/logs/post and smtp logs as it
handles and sends out the message. The trouble is that both logs are
written as the qrunner takes the incoming message from the queue and
processes it rather than it being a log entry of when the message was
handed off from the MTA an put into the queue.

If I remember correctly, with MM 2.0.13 no msg ids are not recorded in
those logs but usually the date/time helps correlate with the sendmail
logs, You could also see if anything correlates with anything in the MM
error log.

I cannot recollect experiencing any problems of this sort with using MM
2.0.13 but I've long sinsce upgraded to MM 2.1.1.