[Mailman-Users] duplicate messages

Brad Barnett bb at L8R.net
Sat Apr 26 17:05:10 CEST 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 15:42:13 +0100
Richard Barrett <r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> At 15:22 26/04/2003, Brad Barnett wrote:
>

> >Hey all,
> >
> >I've had a very bizarre situation occur with Mailman just last week.
> >After one post to the list, Mailman started generating duplicate after
> >duplicate of this same message.  It was caught in the process of
> >sending the fourth message out.
> >
> >The list.mbox file shows 4 identical messages, even if using diff to
> >check them against each other.  They all have the same message ID, the
> >same send time, etc.  Each of these messages was sent to the over 10k
> >users on this list, and I still don't know why.
>
> What version of Mailman are you using?

2.0.13, on Redhat 8.0.

> Are you sure Mailman did  not have four copies of this message delivered
> to it by your MTA?
>
> Have you checked your MTA's mail log to see if any trace of these events
> are showing there?

I've scoured the sendmail logs, but I can't see any indication of it.  Of
course, these would have to be _identical_ messages, since Mailman has
four identical messages in its mbox.  Everything, even the receipt time is
identical.

Is there any way to verify messages received / sent from the mailman logs?