[Mailman-Users] URGENT HELP! I just screwed a clients database!

Angel Gabriel badmangabriel at lycos.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 16:38:57 CEST 2003

I don't know WHAT I did, or even if I did it, but a clients database is
screwed. There is no backups avavlible, the backup guy is on holiday,
and this is a BIG office

Bascially, I copied all the data from MySQL on one machine, and put it
on another, but for some reason, all the data is in ONE record. I'm no
database expert, but I know that's bad. After consulting with the owners
of the database, I find this is not the first time it's happend, there
is an error in one of thier copy scripts, and they forgot to tell me.
But what I need to do is EXTRACT all the data into seperate files.

This is not easy to automate, because not all the records have the same
number of fields, and not all fields are even used. The unique key for
each record is the email address. How would I grep for email address,
and then strip out the ENTIRE record? The data is structured in such a
way that it goes, email address - data - email address. The data could
be phone number, contact name, postal address, fax machine, or a
combination of the above.

Anyhelp would REALLY be appreciated! TIA