[Mailman-Users] lost email

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 23:06:21 CEST 2003

At 21:25 16/04/2003, Jim Beach wrote:
>I sent an email to my list about four hours ago and it has disappeared. It
>appears in my "sent" folder, but no one on the list has received it.
>
>I've since sent two test messages. One from the same location and another
>from a different location. Both were received by the group within seconds.
>
>Is there a place to go look for lost messages?

You could try looking in the mailman logs in $prefix/logs to see what is
happening: post, smtp and error logs come to mind. Try and combine this
information with the log being generated by the MTA on your MM server;
often /var/log/mail on Linux systems, although you may need to su to root
to get read access.

With a sendmail MTA you should typically be able to see, in the MTA log, a
'from' line for your incoming post closely followed by a 'to' line as that
is delivered to MM. If the message is handled successfully you should be
able to match the time in the MTA log with a post and smtp logs showing the
mail being posted successfully to the list and then sent out to
subscribers. Then you should be able to match the smtp log entry(ies) with
from and to entryies in the MTA log as the mail goes out to subscribers.

If you cannot see you missing mail arriving on the sendmail machine then
the problem lies elsewhere in the route between your MUA and the MM machine.

If you see the message arriving but not going out then check the MM error
log. Also check that you have not set up your list to discard posts in
circumstances that matched the mail you sent the list.