[Mailman-Users] Allow BCC

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Apr 9 22:31:52 CEST 2003

On 09 Apr 2003 14:28:02 -0400
Jan Banan <b at grabbarna.nu> wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 02:38, Jan Banan wrote:

>>> This is an anti-spam measure.  You leave yourself open to spam by a
>>> allowing posts via BCC.

This is barely true (two incidents here in 3 years) if you authenticate
posts be Return-Path/envelope instead of From:.

>> In all my lists I have set up so that only list subscribers can
>> post. Then there should be no reason to disallow BCC or? I don't see
>> why I should get spam to the list if only list subscribers could
>> post.

Spammers forge mail, and forge addresses on mail.

> ...because anyone can claim to be anyone in email... and most spammers
> do not use their own email addresses.  They use someone elses (like
> maybe yours).

Which is why authentication on envelope works so well.

  ObNote: The new trick of using compromised Windows zombies as spam
  mail relays will remove most of the value of authenticating by
  envelope or From:

--
J C Lawrence